Sustainable Carpet Cleaning
Sustainable Smart Care® Systems
Sustainability is an important trend in facility management that aims to use products and materials that are better for the environment. Cleaning practices and chemicals can reduce water and energy usage and improve indoor air quality.
At Whittaker, we create green carpet cleaning machines and chemistry that benefit your facility and its occupants. Our Smart Care® Systems contribute or directly earn Leadership in Energy and Design (LEED) credits under the program developed by the U.S. Green Building Council. Several of our CRYSTAL® Chemistry formulations have also been certified by Green Seal, an independent non-profit organization that establishes Environmental Leadership Standards to promote environmentally responsible products. Keep reading to learn more about green carpet cleaning with Smart Care®.
Carpet Cleaning & LEED Building Operations and Maintenance
The U.S. Green Building Council developed the LEED program to emphasize sustainability and high performance in all building types. It is the nationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of high-performance green buildings.
Using Smart Care® Systems for sustainable carpet maintenance contributes to LEED standards in the following ways:
- Water usage: 1 gal. of unheated water for 1,000 sq. ft.
- Wastewater: None
- Residue to recover: 2 oz. of encapsulated soil per 1,000 sq. ft.
- Electricity: 800 watts at 7,500 sq. ft./hr. with no need for dryers/heaters
- Noise level: 70 dB
- Indoor air quality: No VOCs
Applicable LEED Credits
Smart Care® can either directly earn or contribute towards earning the following LEED credits:
Indoor Environmental Quality
- Credit 3.1 Green Cleaning: High-Performance Cleaning Program (1 point)
- Credit 3.3 Green Cleaning: Purchase of Sustainable Cleaning Products and Materials (1 point)
- Credit 3.4 Green Cleaning: Sustainable Cleaning Equipment (1 point)
- Credit 3.5 Green Cleaning: Indoor Chemical and Pollutant Source Control (1 point)
Materials & Resources
- Credit 2.1 Sustainable Purchasing: Electric-Powered Equipment (1 point)
- Credit 3 Sustainable Purchasing: Facility Alterations & Additions (1 point)
Green Seal Certified Carpet Cleaners
Several CRYSTAL® Chemistry products have earned Green Seal Certification under GS-37: Cleaning Products for Industrial and Institutional Use. This standard includes provisions for both environmental and health concerns for vulnerable populations such as schools, daycares, and long-term care facilities. The GS-37 Green Seal standard addresses the following points:
- Product performance: Must demonstrate effective performance.
- Human health protection: Must be non-toxic and non-irritating to skin and eyes.
- Environmental protection: Must have limited Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) to prevent ground-level ozone air pollution.
- Packaging: Must contain less material and be recyclable or refillable.
- Training: Specific training materials on the proper use of the product must be offered.
- Labeling: Must contain clear instructions for use and precautions.
We're Here to Help.
Our experts in low-moisture encapsulation carpet cleaning are just a call or email away. Contact us today!.